Stripe is looking for a Public Policy and Government Relations Manager based in Berlin to lead our efforts to further deepen and develop our Policy program and presence in Germany as part of a growing EMEA Public Policy team.
Stripe is building the economic infrastructure that makes it easier for entrepreneurs and companies all over the world to grow their businesses. We work on some of the hardest technical, business, and regulatory problems around and in this role you will deal with a diverse set of matters that straddle financial services, technology and economic policy in order to identify and advocate for policies that increase the GDP of the Internet.
You will be able to actively shape the Public Policy function globally while we build it out over the coming years and work for a rapidly growing company in a fast paced environment, while collaborating with numerous functional teams across our organization. While the focus will be on the German market there are going to be opportunities to work on other markets (CEE) as well as lead on policy issues across the EMEA region for the team. The position will be based in Berlin and report to the EMEA Public Policy Lead.
If you are up for the challenge – we would love to hear from you!
In this role you will:
- Work together with our Public Policy Team in EMEA as well as Stripe’s European and German leadership team to strategically develop, pursue and execute policy objectives as part of Stripe’s global policy priorities.
- Influence legislative and regulatory agendas, gather intelligence and report on developments and propose and execute activities to engage with relevant political institutions and stakeholders in Germany.
- Plan, develop and execute creative policy initiatives and campaigns that advance Stripe’s policy goals and those of our users.
- Develop and maintain relationships with public policy representatives across the technology and financial services community, and serve as a representative of Stripe on trade groups or other industry bodies.
- Directly engage senior policymakers and regulators, to educate them about Stripe’s business model and vision of the digital economy and the future of payments.
- Help colleagues across Stripe understand potential policy developments and identify policy opportunities to grow our business and products.
We are looking for someone who has:
- At least 8+ years of experience working in a legislative affairs or similar government position, or similar experience at a public policy firm, world class in-house government relations organization or public institution with a focus on the German market.
- Strong industry knowledge and business acumen – an understanding of internet technologies and the financial services and payments industry.
- A track record of excellent judgment, capable of making smart decisions in the face of ambiguity and imperfect information and learning from them.
- A terrific communicator and writer, adept at working with lawyers, regulators, engineers, business teams, and colleagues to make complex concepts clear and understandable.
- Passionate about Stripe’s mission of helping online businesses grow and thrive.
- Empathy, humility, and some comedy.
Nice to haves:
- Experience working in a high-growth, rapidly scaling environment.
- Industry experience working in technology, payments, merchant or financial services is a plus.
- A willingness to work with a diverse crew of policy nerds who care deeply about Stripe’s policy issues, our users and each other.
“Nice to have” really means “nice to have”. It’s completely possible that you don’t have any of these and are still a great fit for the team.
What’s it like to work at Stripe?
Stripe is helping the internet fulfill its potential as a platform for economic progress by building software tools that accelerate global economic access and technological development. We look at Stripe as a constant work in progress and the same is true of our people; for all of us, we believe the best is yet to come. We’re here to support each other in our curiosity and creativity – which we pursue through thoughtful discussion and knowledge-sharing among a diverse set of peers and colleagues.
We want to work in a company of warm, inclusive people who treat their colleagues exceptionally well. The kind of people who are committed to going out of their way to help other Stripes in the short-term and pushing them to improve over the long-term. We’re a highly cross-functional organization and view that as part of the fun. We also have a culture of transparency that we carry through to email communication, ensuring that Stripes all around the world have the information they need to make good local decisions.